SUICIDE: Prevention, Intervention and Postvention in Schools
A workshop for school professionals*
Friday, October 20th, 2017 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Suicide among adolescents and young adults continues to increase every year and is now the second leading cause of death in individuals of middle school, high school, and college age, exceeded only by accidents. Suicide is responsible for more deaths of 10-24 year olds each year than all natural causes combined. It is vital that all school personnel have up-to-date information regarding suicide warning signs and prevention strategies. Consistent with this ethical obligation, new Missouri statute requires schools to develop policies for training all staff in regard to suicide awareness and prevention.
Topics Covered Include:
- Statistics, Risk Factors, and Warning Signs
- Suicide Myths vs Facts
- Protective Factors: helping students find hope
- The Three Tiers of Prevention: universal, selective and indicated prevention methods
- Training Gatekeepers: outlines and methods for training school staff, students and parents
- Meeting the new legal mandate for training
- Informed suicide risk assessment
- The step-by-step process to use with students assessed to be at high risk
- Intervention methods: what to say, what not to say
- Developing the Safety Plan
- Re-integrating a student who attempted suicide
- Postvention: how to prevent contagion and support your school community after a suicide death
Presenter: Amy V. Maus, MSW, LCSW specializes in school consultation, providing faculty inservice training, parent education presentations, seminar programs, and on-site case consultation to dozens of area schools each year. She is co-author of The Care Team Approach: A Problem Solving Process for Effective School Change.
Date and time
Friday, October 20th, 2017
9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Lunch 12:00 – 1:00 on your own.
West County Psychological Associates
12125 Woodcrest Executive Drive
St. Louis, MO
Who Should Attend
School Social Workers and Counselors
Professional Development Coordinators
Care Team members
$90 per attendee
Continuing Education certificate provided, must attend full program.
How to Register*: Click here to register online. Payment is expected at time of registration. Questions or concerns? Call WCPA at (314) 275-8599 or feel free to visit our website: www.wcpastl.com. Register Today – Space is Limited.
* This presentation is also available for school groups at your site. Call for information.