Friday, November 15th, 2019 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Free CEUs are approved and provided for Missouri licensed social workers and Illinois licensed professionals, IL CE Sponsor License No. 159.001475
Youth suicide continues to increase every year and is now the second leading cause of death in middle school, high school, and college, exceeded only by accidents. Suicide is responsible for more deaths of 10-24 year olds each year than all natural causes combined. It is vital that all school personnel have up-to-date information regarding suicide warning signs and prevention strategies. Consistent with this ethical obligation, state statute requires schools to develop policies for training all staff in regard to suicide awareness and prevention.
Topics Covered Include:
- Statistics, Risk Factors, Warning Signs & Myths
- Protective Factors: helping students find hope
- The Three Tiers of Prevention: universal, selective and indicated prevention methods
- Training Gatekeepers: outlines and methods for training school staff, students and parents
- Informed suicide risk assessment
- The step-by-step process to use with students assessed to be at high risk
- Intervention methods: what to say, what not to say
- Developing the safety plan
- Re-integrating a student who attempted suicide
- Postvention: how to prevent contagion and support your school community after a suicide death
Presenter: Amy V. Maus, MSW, LCSW specializes in school consultation, providing faculty training, parent presentations, principals’ groups, and on-site consultation to dozens of area schools each year. Along with colleagues, she is co-author of The Care Team Approach: A Problem Solving Process for Effective School Change.
Who Should Attend: School Administrators, School Social Workers and Counselors, School Nurses, School Psychologists, Classroom Teachers, Professional Development Coordinators, and Care Team members
Cost: $95 per attendee Continuing Education certificate provided, must attend full program.
Date and time: Friday, November 15th, 2019 | 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. | Lunch 12:00 – 1:00 on your own.
Location: West County Psychological Associates, 12125 Woodcrest Executive Drive, St. Louis, MO 63141
*This presentation, as well as a 2 hour long program, are also available for school groups at your site. Call for information.