Programs available for school staff and parent groups
Note: All presentations are available ONLINE via webinar during the 2020-21 school year. Live presentations may be available during the spring semester, depending on health and safety circumstances.
Suicide among American youth continues to increase and is now responsible for more deaths of adolescents each year than all natural causes combined. It is vital that all school personnel and parents have up-to-date information regarding suicide warning signs and prevention strategies. Professional development training, as well as parent presentations, are available through West County Psychological Associates.
Training for school counselors, social workers, nurses, administrators, and crisis team members:
CEUs are available for licensed Missouri social workers and counselors.
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention, and Postvention in Schools (6 hours)*
- Suicide Risk Assessment in Schools (2 hours)
- Safety Planning and Counseling Strategies (2 hours)
- Postvention: What to Do after a Student’s Suicide Death (2 hours)
Training for all school or district staff:
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention (2 hours)
- NEW: Youth Suicide Awareness and Prevention in Schools (1 hour online webinar) Schools/districts may access the pre-recorded 1 hour Zoom training through West County Psychological Associates or may request that the session be recorded on their own online training format.
Presentation for parents:
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention for Parents (1 hour)
*Materials Available for Your Use: After attending the six hour Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention in Schools training, school counselors, social workers, nurses and administrators are eligible to become qualified presenters of the two hour Suicide Awareness and Prevention in Schools program for their own school/district staff. Materials are licensed to schools/districts for use by qualified presenters to train their school staff members. Inquire through the contact information below.
TRAINING CAN BE PROVIDED “LIVE ONLINE” OR BY RECORDED WEBINAR – CALL TO SCHEDULE
For more information or to schedule, please contact Amy Maus, MSW, LCSW at the West County Psychological Associates office, 314.275.8599, or visit www.wcpastl.com.
Amy Maus is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in both Missouri and Illinois. She specializes in services to schools, including providing training to administrators, teachers and parents, consultation within Care Teams and on individual cases, and/or direct intervention with at-risk students. She also leads monthly consultation groups for area school principals. Along with two WCPA colleagues, Ms. Maus wrote and, in 2008, published The Care Team Approach, a book for school professionals. She is passionate about preventing youth suicide and offers many programs to achieve those ends.